RJS Demystified With Pretty Colors!

I probably should have spent the time today to fix the slash7 template, but my heart wasn’t in it. My heart was, on the other hand, in this:

That’s a screenshot of the second page of my first-ever multi-page cheat sheet, RJS Demystified. RJS Demystified is actually an entire 3 pages long, all in achingly saturated color. Well, except for that third page, which is mostly text.

Since I’m still in the process of buffing up the new Mephisto-powered site, let’s keep this cheat sheet launch low-key. Feel free to pass it around to your friends and loved ones (or even your enemies, if you are so inclined), but please resist the urge to stick it on Digg or anything like that. I’m not ready to take another Digging just yet.

Ego Alert: And yes, I’m making the presumptuous assumption presumption that if it went onto Digg, it’d probably be pretty popular. You and I both know how those Diggers are about Ajax—like rabid bunnies.

Let me know what you think!

21 Comments

1. Presumptuous… presumption? :)

This comment box is TINY.

(yes I accidentally left this comment on the wrong post)

2. Fredrik W says:

Your tags arent working, and some other stuff in your template is pretty messed up (but i guess you knew that already).

Nice cheatsheet!

3. Fredrik W says:

Nice cheatsheet!

4. Amy Hoy says:

Yeah, presumption. Boy, was I tired when I made that post, but I was damned if I was going to bed without finishing what I started.

And yeah, the tags are messed up. It’s a bug in Liquid, the templating language itself, surprisingly. I’ll fix that and the comment box and sidebar stuff today, hopefully.

5. Alan says:

This is very nice. One thing: it annoys the CRAP out of me as a designer when people reduce design to "pretty colors." Please don’t diminish your own work by advertising it this way.

6. Jason says:

Great cheat sheet, but it isn’t printable. Is that intentional? I am a dinosaur, so I likes my cheat sheets on sheets for doodling and note-making.

7. Josh says:

Amy, you’ve got an closing tag for an HTML comment running loose in the upper right of the page.

8. Amy Hoy says:

Alan, I wasn’t diminishing anything :) It’s a joke. "ooh, pretty colors!" or "ooh, shiny shiny!" I admit that, as a visual person, I’m somewhat magpie-like, but nobody has ever accused my cheat sheets of being "just pretty colors"—and I doubt anyone ever will. It’s all too obvious how much works go into them.

Jason, did you get an error? I’ve never restricted the rights on my PDFs. I just printed it fine on a different computer to veriy.

Josh, thanks. I’ll fix it.

9. Amy, I liked the content of the cheat sheet, although I found understanding difficult due to the 3 pages. So I took it upon myself to make a one-page version. You can find it here: http://localtype.org/rjs/rjs_cheat_sheet.pdf

10. Oops… I made a contact error in the PDF, the revised version is now up at the same location.

Again, great job!

11. Jason says:

Amy, yup. I get a little Adobe dialog window that says "The document could not be printed." in both OS X and WinXP using Acrobat Professional, on the huge office printer and the lil’ Epson at home.

For kicks, I opened it in Preview at home, and the Epson is chugging happily away. Thanks again for this reference. I’m doing my first RJSing today, and it is great!

12. Jason says:

Amy-mucho weirdness. Printing it using Preview on my Epson works just fine. Using Acrobat 6 Professional at home here, or Acrobat 7 Pro on the Mac or WinXP machines at work gave this Adobe dialog box: "The document could not be printed." Maybe Adobe is crossing their 0′s and 1′s when reading the way Graffle writes PDF files?

In any event, I am RJSin’ for the first time today, your cheat sheet by my side. Thanks again!

13. Andrew says:

Loose comments aren’t the only problem – this page is horribly broken for me at the moment. I can only assume Amy is taking medication (LSD?) for her ankle pain. Get better soon.

14. Anonymous Gnome says:

He means your web site is totally broken, not the PDF. Although, I think he means upper-left, not upper-right.

15. Ray says:

Thanks Amy, I can’t use edge rails for my work and have only recently had a chance to use RJS in projects and seem to be playing catchup, easy to read and digest docs like this are very much appreciated by my overworked brain, cheers.

16. Conrad says:

Baby! I love your work.

kisses

17. diego says:

Amy, the links on the top navigation seem to be broken.(article, goodies, who?)

They all return a mephisto 500 error.

18. Enrique says:

Awesome cheat sheet. Ignore that guy Alan, how rude! Anyway, I get the same printing error as Jason. I’ll figure something out :)

19. Domagoj says:

Why are all your comments written at “October 8, 2006 at 6:17 am”?? Besides that, your work is great , you helped me a lot with your rails tutorials!

20. You are a pretty good designer Amy, and this article is proof of that. Never mind Allan’s comment, maybe he is just jealous of your exceptional design skills. ;)

21. [...] a Postgres database, as much HTML generation on the server as possible and augment that with RJS (Rails’ mechanism to push JavaScript snippets to the client that get eval’d). This allows for [...]